Almost £2 billion worth of contracts to deliver 173 miles of high-speed track for HS2 Ltd were launched on May 4.
The deals cover the design and build of the track between London, Birmingham and Crewe. HS2 Ltd confirmed that they will be awarded in 2022, with shortlists of bidders expected towards the end of this year.
“The launch of this new procurement contest is an important milestone for the project, and a significant opportunity for the industry and the wider supply chain,” said HS2 Ltd Procurement and Commercial Director, David Poole.
“At the peak of construction, HS2 will support around 30,000 jobs. Contracts like this will provide a real boost for employers across the supply chain, helping to boost skills and provide opportunities for years to come.”
Four separate track packages will be awarded:
- Lot 1: Phase 1 (Urban - London and Birmingham) - £434 million.
- Lot 2: Phase 1 (Open Route - Central) - £526m.
- Lot 3: Phase 1 (Open Route - North) - £566m.
- Lot 4: Phase 2a - Track - £431m.
- For the FULL story, read RAIL 905, published on May 20, and available digitally from May 16.