Government urged to back use of public transport

A national campaign is seeking to encourage people back onto public transport as the pandemic restrictions continue to ease.

The Way Forward was launched by Campaign for Better Transport on May 19, with a specially branded double-decker bus outside the Houses of Parliament. 

CBT is urging government to introduce an incentive scheme to boost passenger numbers on train, tram, coach and bus services.

In the meantime, it says emergency financial support should continue until passenger numbers have recovered, and that funding is needed to restore lost rail links and reconnect communities. 

The organisation hopes this will form part of a national plan to place public transport at the heart of a green recovery from COVID-19. 

CBT Chief Executive Paul Tuohy said: “The events of the last year have made people less confident about using public transport, but as restrictions continue to ease, we all need to start getting back on board. 

“That’s why we’ve launched this campaign to urge the Government to reassure people that public transport is safe again, and to introduce a national scheme of discounted fares to encourage people to use it.

“By getting back on board we can all help to reduce congestion, protect the environment, and boost the economy in a way that is fair and sustainable.” 

The Rail Delivery Group welcomed the drive to increase passenger numbers with RDG Director of Nations and Regions Robert Nisbet adding: “With government backing public transport as a priority, we can make sure we avoid a car-led recovery and instead better utilise cleaner, greener means of transport to connect our country.”

Read more in RAIL 932. 

Comment as guest


Login  /  Register

Comments

No comments have been made yet.

RAIL is Britain's market leading modern railway magazine.

Download the app

Related content