Close Close
Poll

Do you agree with Driver Only Operation on railways?

View the poll

National rail strikes called off

Planned strikes by RMT union members at Network Rail have been called off after a new 
pay offer was made.

The RMT union were due to walk
out for 24 hours from 1700 on June 4, and for 48 hours from 1700 on June 9 after
 previously rejecting two proposed deals. The breakthrough came after four days of talks at the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS).

An ACAS spokesman said: “After four days of intensive talks, ACAS has 
helped Network Rail, RMT, TSSA and Unite formulate a set of revised proposals that the trades unions will now take away to consider.

The spokesman added: “Recognising this, the RMT has agreed to suspend the industrial action
 planned for this week and next.”

RMT general secretary Mick Cash said: “Following extensive Acas talks 
throughout the weekend RMT has now received a revised offer that enables
us to suspend the planned industrial action while we consult in full on 
the details of the revised package with our Network Rail 
representatives.”

NR Chief Executive Mark Carne said: “I am very pleased that 
the industrial action has been suspended. With Acas's help, we have had
very constructive talks with the unions over the weekend and I hope they 
will be able to agree this deal.”

  • For more on this story see RAIL 776, published on June 10.


Comment as guest


Login  /  Register

Comments

No comments have been made yet.

RAIL is Britain's market leading modern railway magazine.

Download the app

Related content