This is an exciting opportunity for a Senior Rail Design Engineer to join Altran UK’s Rail Engineering business during a period of rapid growth.
Working with major UK and European rolling stock manufacturers, you will be instrumental in delivering innovative, value-adding design engineering services, enabling our clients to be at the cutting edge of innovation.
Your duties as Senior Design Engineer will span the whole product design life-cycle from problem definition, through concept and detail design, manufacturing, test, verification and validation, and in-service support. You will be responsible for the technical quality and innovative content of engineering solutions across multiple rail rolling stock engineering disciplines.
You will have strong problem solving and analytical skills, be a good communicator (written and verbal), have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to quickly build rapport with others, be self-motivated and able to use initiative, be organised with good time management and prioritisation.
* Be the client’s main point of contact for all technical work packages undertaken by Altran UK and Global engineering teams
* Support multiple engineering tasks for different projects, requiring you to maintain excellent working relationships with the key client points of contact on-site, and represent both your work and the work of other team members during client reviews
* Ensure effective requirements capture and management throughout the entire design life cycle
* Define activities required to identify root cause of technical issues
* Lead technical teams to deliver right first time, on time design solutions
* Undertake design reviews and be responsible for sign-off of technical deliverables for submission to the client
* Support Project Managers in planning technical aspects of fixed-price, priced duration projects, including scope, schedule, budget and risk, for both live projects and proposals / bids
Qualifications and Technical Skills
* Hold a Master’s Degree or equivalent with proven technical leadership experience
* Have experience of rolling stock design across the full life cycle, from concept design through to in-service support
* Hold or be working towards Professional Registration as a Chartered Engineer with Membership of an appropriate engineering institution e.g. IMechE, IET
Knowledge and Experience
You will possess creative problem-solving skills in a team environment and comfortable with communicating clearly and efficiently throughout varying levels of both the customer and Altran businesses. Due to the nature of the assignments undertaken by Altran you will work in an environment that promotes autonomy and initiative, requiring a flexible attitude. Above all, you will have a desire to progress.
You will be a high calibre, talented individual who is able to demonstrate a commitment to developing your career in engineering management. You will already have substantial experience of direct leadership on the full engineering lifecycle gained within the rail industry or similar industries, including complex systems integration across multiple disciplines, task and resource planning.
You will have excellent multi-discipline knowledge of rail vehicle engineering , including systems engineering and rail vehicle / sub-system architecture; carbody structural design, integrity and crashworthiness; rolling stock traction, power supply and distribution systems; train control, protection and information systems; rolling stock interiors, industrial design, and human factors; mechanical systems including doors, brakes and air systems, bogies, passenger comfort; manufacturing and assembly process development and optimisation; test, validation and verification. Alternatively you will bring similar multi-discipline experience from other industries.
You will have a strong track record of successful technical quality management, with prior responsibility for technical sign-off of engineering deliverables.
You will set high standards for yourself and those that you lead both directly and indirectly, acting as an advocate for our clients within Altran and ensuring right first time, on time delivery. You will have demonstrated experience of supporting project and programme managers by taking the lead on delivery of technical work packages.
In addition to the culture and career development opportunities at Altran, we offer a matched pension scheme, healthcare and generous holiday allowance
You can apply this job via clicking the button below.