Do you have a broad range of rail electrification knowledge and keen on an opportunity to effect real industry change, ensuring rail electrification standards are always up-to-date with safety as paramount importance?
As the Principal Electrification Engineer / Principal Energy Engineer you will provide technical expertise and leadership to support our client's delivery of standards and R&D projects associated within the Energy discipline - primarily AC and DC mainline electrification.
Role & Responsibilities:
* Author new and revised Railway Group Standards, Rail Industry Standards and guidance notes in accordance with the Railway Group Standards Code and Standards Manual; support the management of the National Technical Specification Notices (NTSNs) and deviations, and the development of International Standards and European Standards, through CENELEC, CEN and BSI.
* Peer review standards work and R&D project reports produced by others.
* Support delivery of industry projects, including research, covering new and existing technologies.
* This requires the post-holder to identify opportunities and support the development of industry project proposals and specifications.
* Support the delivery of project work through collaboration with a wide range of industry and other parties.
* Provide specialist support within the Energy discipline for accreditation services provided by our client to the United Kingdom Accreditation Service.
* Provide technical support to members in line with reasonable requests.
* Influence an improved level of understanding within our client and across the wider industry of the role of requirements in supporting the achievement of technical compatibility, safe integration and human safety.
* Represent our client through membership of relevant industry committees, including technical committees and mirror groups and chair industry meetings as required.
* Work in conjunction with the Standards Policy team to ensure that the solutions developed, or documents drafted, comply with the relevant decision-making criteria for the environment in which they are made.
* Report progress and provide technical direction and advice to stakeholders on individual projects.
* Deputise for the Professional Head of Energy on an interim basis as required.
* Apply detailed knowledge across a wide range of aspects concerning the Energy subsystem and the operational context in which it exists, such that they understand in detail the impact and interactions that the Energy subsystem has with the other railway subsystems (particularly rail vehicles) and the associated human safety aspects too.
Your Experience & Qualifications:
* Chartered Engineer status (or working towards Chartership) and membership of a relevant Professional Engineering Institution
* Experience of AC and DC electrification (mechanical, electrical and associated human safety aspects) and its interactions with other parts of the railway system, particularly with rail vehicles
* An ability to apply specialist knowledge to the railway as a system
* Understanding of current and emerging technologies and trends relevant to railway electrification
* Understanding of relevant interoperability and safety legislation and standards
* Understanding of how standards can support interoperability and safety
* Analytical skills and the ability to apply them in the context of the railway system
* Ability to work collaboratively with industry to ensure effective fit for purpose outputs (e.g. standards, research)
* Effective communication and interpersonal skills including:
* Writing skills and ability to understand technical documents
* Presentation and chairing skills for stakeholder meetings
* Leadership and coaching skills
* Private medical and dental cover with the option to buy additional family cover;
* 30 days annual leave (from Jan to Dec) + bank holidays with 3 days held for Christmas closure;
* The option to buy and sell up annual leave at the end of the calendar year;
* Pension scheme
* Up to 13% Performance Related Bonus
* Season ticket subsidy - 50% cash back on value of season ticket or up to the value of £1,700, whichever is less on season tickets of 6 or 12 months.
We have a fair and comprehensive selection procedure. It is our policy that there should be equal opportunity for and no discrimination against applicants on the grounds of gender, race, religion or belief, nationality, colour, pregnancy and maternity, sexual orientation, disability, age, marriage and civil partnership, union or non-union membership, socio-economic background or being a part-time or fixed term worker
You can apply this job via clicking the button below.