Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, serving a population of 2 million residents, and has a very successful track record of delivering transformational change. ECC anticipated change was needed in the public sector and has worked to deliver better quality at lower cost. We have an ambitious transformation agenda – one with the scope to reach every part of the council. We are changing the way we think, the way we work, and the ways in which we deliver our services. We are committed to becoming a place where individuals, partners and communities feel proud to play their role and genuinely want to belong. We’re immensely proud of our flexible working options.
The Highways and Transportation team over the coming years will strive to modernise the service, specifically around leveraging value from technology and raising customer engagement.
The Community Rail Partnership Officer contributes to promoting, managing and operating the Essex and South Suffolk Community Rail Partnership along the rural branch lines in Essex and South Suffolk.
Experience of project/organisational and event management, community based projects and Community Interest Companies will be key to success in this role. Ideally coupled with a good knowledge and understanding of the railway industry and integrated transport, particularly the promotion of sustainable travel, this role will work closely with the community and voluntary sector so will need to evidence collaborative working which engenders successful delivery.
While predominately the working hours of this role will be between Monday and Friday, the role does require the successful applicant to work five Saturday’s per year, attending functions/events linked to the role.
• Responsible for promotion, management and operation of the rural branch lines of the Essex and South Suffolk Community Rail Partnership, in particular the The Flitch Line (Braintree to Witham) and The Gainsborough Line (Marks Tey to Sudbury).
• Responsible for managing resources to deliver objectives and functions of the Essex and South Suffolk Community Rail Partnership in a financially sustainable environment.
• Responsible for ensuring transport and station environments address travel needs of respective communities in a cost effective manner, through attending meetings with transport operators, voluntary organisations, statutory authorities and the public.
• Develops links between the railway, local businesses, the tourism industry and other agencies with interests in the Essex and South Suffolk Community Rail Partnership. Generates local projects by identifying potential new partners and supporters.
• Facilitates and encourages participation and involvement of the community to gain a sense of ‘ownership’ for the lines. Attend project working groups identifying projects, sources of funding and sponsorship.
• Identifies potential opportunities for new business and employment on social development adjacent to the lines.
• Develop ways of integrating the railway with other forms of transport, to increase general patronage of the lines for work, recreational, cultural, social and other purposes, in accordance with the Essex and South Suffolk Community Rail Partnership Terms of Reference.
• Works collaboratively with the Rail Engagement Manager, to administer and monitor the annual budget, ensuring the spend is in accordance with the aims and objectives of the Essex and South Suffolk Community Rail Partnership Steering Group. Producing regular progress reports.
• Contributes to the production of publicity material, including the website, and social media twitter and facebook for events and information relevant to the community.
• Educated to Level 3 (A level) or equivalent proven experience.
• Evidence of continuing professional development, and knowledge in relevant professional area.
• Experience of project/organisational and event management, community based projects and Community Interest Companies.
• Ability to build strong partnerships with the public and private/voluntary sector organisations, which are collaborative and engender delivery.
• Knowledge and understanding of the railway industry, integrated transport particularly the promotion of sustainable travel, community and voluntary work, business organisations and their relationship with statutory undertakings.
• Proven track record in undertaking research with an awareness of environmental, social, transport and tourism issues.
• Evidence of delivering successfully against local and personal objectives.
• You will need to have a full driving licence with access to your own vehicle.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained.
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees.
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
Working for Essex welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Working for Essex is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us
You can apply this job via clicking the button below.